Friday, May 06, 2005

My plan was to hike about 7 miles along this 11 mile trail and return on the same day. I have permits to walk and camp the entire 11 miles next week, to sample spiders in Kalalau valley, but I thought it would be best to check the trail out and see about other potential sample sites. I have never, in all the years of outdoor activity, been worried about my ability to hike a trail. Of course I have ignored the fact that we get older and our joints and limbs have agendas of their own. The hike in was wonderful, I went in about 6 miles and then had to hike back 6 miles. It was not until the last 1.5 miles back did my tibial collateral ligaments begin to object....painfully so. At the last 1/2 mile I was walking like a 90 year old man...the sides of my knees stiff with pain. The day after has been the RICE routine - rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Well more like RI, compression and elevation seems a bit excessive at this point. Posted by Hello

Actually my pain stems from a combination of getting old and not being in perfect shape. It really is hard on the kness to basically "walk up and down stairs" for 7-8 hours. I should be more grateful that is all my problems since I am feeling pretty good today. Stiff and a bit in pain but the muscles do not hurt at all. I hope it goes this well next week, but I will pack the ibuprofen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Online Degrees